> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Refinish cabinets
Login | Register

Refinish cabinets

Posted by steve jones on May 27th, 2000 10:06 PM
In reply to paint my kitchen cabinets by R Langford on May 27th, 2000 08:22 PM [Go to top of thread]

1) remove all the hardware from the fronts and all the cabinets.
2) wipe down all the cabinets with a mixture of vinegar and water. Cuts the grease.
3) Sand (lightly) the wood to rough it up and remove any blemishes. Sand in the direction of the grain only.
4) the last step would be to steel wool the wood and then wipe it clean again with water and vinegar.
5) Get some Zinser BIN primer. This is cleaned up with amonia and water, so have some on hand for readily cleanup. On the primer, have all your brush strokes going the same way, preferably up and down. The key to priming is to apply many coats, but with a light amount of primer. Let each coat dry well in between. I would apply three or four coats.
6)Then upon your inspection, determine if you may need another coat or if your ready.
7)Go to Sherwin Williams and get some Pro Mar 200. Begin your final coat applications. I would apply 2 coats at the minimum.
8)re-apply your hardware or preferably buy new bright stuff and your ready to go.
9) I have a good track record with this approach and if you have any other questions, log on and enter them. or contact me at:

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC