> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > redwood floor refinishing
Login | Register

redwood floor refinishing

Posted by Ross Miller on March 20th, 2000 01:20 AM

2 of 3 people found this post helpful

We are in the process of refinishing our 100-year-old redwood floor in a dining room and hallway. Much of the wood in the center of the dining room was bare, while throughout the hallway and border of the dining room there was lead based paint and varnish. After stripping and sanding, the floor looked good overall - some chips, and scattered stains, but not bad. However, after applying a coat of sanding sealer (it is a stain controller/sealer with tung oil) that has worked great for me with previous antiques, we found a great deal of color variation. The center part of the dining room is quite a bit darker than the rest of the wood. Moreover, even on the areas where there was paint/varnish, the pattern is uneven (dark to light), although it does not look as bad as the center of the dining room.

We had previously refinished the redwood baseboard (protected by 6-7 layers of lead paint!) using the same process and they came out quite nice. Is there anything I can do at this stage to the floor to bring about a more uniform color?

As far as I can tell, this is the first time the floor has been sanded (I think the boards are 3 1/4 by about 3/4), and we would really like to preserve them. Have we completely screwed everything up, or is there help for us novices?

Ross in CA

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC