> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Recovering floors.
Login | Register

Recovering floors.

Posted by Starsnbars on June 26th, 2002 11:20 PM
In reply to pet's and choosing a floor by Kirk on June 26th, 2002 07:01 PM [Go to top of thread]

I, too, have animals (cats & dogs) and have had to deal with that as well. Our house is all wood floors, and over time, the floors have had various "accidents" happen upon them. The urine soaks into the floors, and you basically have to rip them out and replace them (maybe the baseboards as well, but they are over a foot tall, so it's a major task!). My wife and I have painted the floors over the years, and that helps the odor somewhat, but not perfectly.
If you want a flooring that resists accidents, either commercial sheet vinyl or lino is worth considering. You could also use lino or vinyl squares (not peel & stick). Ceramic tile is another possibility. I recently had to redo our d/s bathroom flooring, as one of our old dogs would head in there if she NEEDED to go and we didn't get her out in time. There used to be ceram. tile in there, but was cracked, so I replaced with carpeting. Her piddles ruined the carpet within a year, so I ripped it out, ten removed the overlayment, and replaced with OSB & 1/4" luan, then applied commercial vinyl tile. MUCH better, and far easier to keep clean.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC