> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Real Hardwood, Laminate, or Engineered Flooring??
Login | Register

Real Hardwood, Laminate, or Engineered Flooring??

Posted by Alan on September 3rd, 2002 06:12 AM

Had originally planned to lay laminate or engineered flooring in our front entrance/hallway area. About 150 sq ft. There is already hardwood floors under another layer of vinyl type tiles. The hardwood however has about two very large sections cut-out and replaced with plywood. Doesn't seem prudent to try to fix that, plus it would be much lower than the remaining floors that have newer subfloors, plus carpeting/tile. So I was going to put the laminate/engineered over what is currently there and the 3/8" thickness will bring everything real close. I also have access to t&g oak planks (2 1/4" X 3/4") cica 1900. I would have to remove the currently flooring/subflooring, replace the subflooring I assume? What would you recommend be used as a subfloor under true hardwood?

I know theoretically the laminate/engineered is probably better (durability, etc) but my home is pushing 150 years old so I think true wood would give it character. What's your opinions on using the wood over the other choices?

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC