> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > ready for carpal tunnel?
Login | Register

ready for carpal tunnel?

Posted by regina in IL on April 10th, 2000 06:57 PM
In reply to removing painted wallpaper by Frustrated on April 9th, 2000 07:48 PM [Go to top of thread]

Your post brought back some awful memories (six layers of paper sandwiching three layers of paint--what gets into people's heads?!), but maybe I can be of some help. Be prepared for lots of scraping and lots of investment of time, even if you do use either a wallpaper remover or my suggestion. The stuff is not just going to fall off the wall when you say "open sesame."

All the contractors on this site are going to GRROOAANN when they read this, and I can't say I blame them, but this is what finally worked for me, after trying everything else:

First, increase the heat and humidity in the room--by a LOT. This was easy for me; I just did the job in July, which is hideous here. Then, try to get your scraping tool all the way under the sheet of wallpaper to the plaster, or whatever's under it, and try to get as big a sheet of it to come off as you can. Do this in several places along the wall to open up the edges (the smaller the pieces you can get, the more places you'll need to do it). Then spray on glass cleaner. Yes, I said glass cleaner. Windex and Glass Plus worked equally well, and Glass Plus was cheaper and could be bought in large bottles. Really soak it on there. Let it sit for at least a couple hours. Soak it again. Let it sit again at least one hour. Then scrape. Any little pieces that are still stuck, just spray them again, let sit, and scrape them off. I did not use a wallpaper scraper. Instead, I used a four-inch joint knife--a cheap one that was really thin, so it would slide under the paper more easily.

Make sure you wear a dust mask and use good ventilation, or you'll find yourself not feeling so well. Be careful not to gouge the wall surface--use smooth, even strokes as you scrape. You'll save on patching time later. Good luck.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC