> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > re: Painting cement floors
Login | Register

re: Painting cement floors

Posted by Stephen on January 16th, 2001 04:57 PM
In reply to Painting cement floors by Dianne Vicknair on January 16th, 2001 09:45 AM [Go to top of thread]

Moderator Post:
> Painting Cement by dmasher on 11/08/2004

Here's my $.02 (which depreciates by 50% as soon as it leaves the showroom):

Basement floors are a pain, unless you're finishing your basement. The best, well-cured paint will still peel in a few years at best -- especially in high-traffic areas. There are things you can do to avoid the slippery-ness, but peeling is inevitable. A decent industrial-strength carpet is another alternative, but then you'll have to deal with moisture and, potentially, mold spores (hope you're not allergic!). Putting down a wood floor is another option, but the moisture issue may still be a problem -- and it may not be worth the expense/time/effort. Previous owners in my house put down linoleum tile with some kind of adhesive. They're all coming up now. Not to discourage you, but in a basement each option has it's strengths and weaknesses. I went with a "cheap but durable" industrial carpet from my good friends at Home Depot, and am keeping my fingers crossed the basement never floods (I live in NE) -- but if it does, I won't begrudge the loss of a $.60/ft carpet.

Good Luck!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC