> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > RE: NOISY WATER PIPES
Login | Register


Posted by Jeff Hudson on May 9th, 1998 05:55 PM
In reply to cold water pipes banging by Dave on May 4th, 1998 03:30 PM [Go to top of thread]

What you are describing can be easily fixed with a "Water Hammer Arrester". The arrester works as a schock asorber, with a watertight diaphram inside. It usually is mounted near the appliance that is making most of the noise. In your case, most likely it should be installed as close to the water main inlet to your house as you can get it. These can be purchased at most hardware stores locally, or through your local plumber. A cheaper way to fix this is to install a "T" connection in the main line and then connect an "L" that is approx 12" long with a capped end. This does the same thing as the "Arrester" but much cheaper. This captures air in the line at that point and acts as a shock absorber to dampen the banging pipes.
I hope this helps.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC