> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > re-blackened toilet ?
Login | Register

re-blackened toilet ?

Posted by Brain on June 10th, 1998 02:41 AM
In reply to Problem toilets by Mary E. Fradette on June 9th, 1998 06:53 PM [Go to top of thread]

This truly is a puzzle. However their is a answer to your problem. It will take a little thinking back on your part. I will have to ask you a few questions, maybee this will help answer the problem. But first let me say the finish on toilets is much better today than in the past.
Here goes.
1/ Do you have city water or well water, or if city water does your city obtain its water from a well source. What is the hardness of your water?
2/ Do you use any abrasive cleanser on your fixtures?
3/ What type of piping material do you have in your house? Example [Galvz. pipe , Black iron pipe, Cast iron Black fittings, Copper pipe, Aluminum, Plastic pipe, or a mix of piping ]?
Do you have a water softner. If so have it checked.
4/ Blackness in water or on fixtures can be due to a chemical reaction between Water and certian metals and Electric. Using abrasive cleansers can scratch the glass finish on your fixtures and tile. Using abrasives on the glass finish of your fixtures and tile creates the same effect as using it on your windows. I've seen black water once in my 36 year plumbing career in a 20 story high rise building.
Which after I flushed out the system the problem never returned.
Please do some looking around your house and answer some of the questions.
This is truly a problem. Please write back and let me know what you found.
Good luck

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC