> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Rate of snow melt on roofs
Login | Register

Rate of snow melt on roofs

Posted by Moderator, Steve on February 6th, 2002 02:21 PM

North Texas had its first big snow in 6 years. We got three inches. What a major event. I know what you northerners are thinking, and I agree, but for Texas, this is something.

Anyway, I am always puzzled about one thing after snows. I am constantly looking at roofs and noticing more of a melt here and less of a melt there and sometimes no melt there.

Now, the sun is NOT a factor as the overcast is very cloudy.

What makes some areas melt faster than others and IS this a sign of effecient insulation or what?

for example. I have noticed that the snow melts very fast around wind turbines and stacks especially carrying fumes from the HVAC. Then I notice some melt in only certain areas and not in others.

I have seen some homes that have completely melted and dry when the neighbor has full snow.

Another kicker, my work shed is NOT insulated and the snow is as thick as if it was snowing. I figured this one out that possibly the inside temp is the same as the outside temp, therefore no melt will start unless the sun kicks in.

Please give me the theory on snow melt on roofs and correlation with insulation values.

Many thanks.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC