> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Ralph Lauren Suede Experience
Login | Register

Ralph Lauren Suede Experience

Posted by Kenny Hoeschen on July 20th, 1999 03:02 PM
In reply to Ralph Lauren Paint by laurie on November 23rd, 1997 03:19 PM [Go to top of thread]

1 of 2 people found this post helpful

Moderator Post:
> Ralph Lauren Paint Help by Handyman on 10/27/2004

I have just finished painting my bedroom with Ralph Lauren Suede paint (doeskin grey). I have never done interior painting before this, my only experience is as a volunteer doing exterior painting in low-income/elderly housing.I'll share my experience, for what it's worth:

I started with a coat of primer, I'm not sure if it was necessary, but I was covering a bright, toothpaste green and thought it would be better with a white undercoat (I really didn't want to end up with doeskin grey with green undertones.)

I taped all the trim and followed the instructions on the RL paint can, along with the hints I've read on this bulletin board. At first, I struggled with the small roller used to cut in along the edges. It took me a while to get it rolling properly (I pulled the sponge roller away from the handle a bit, which helped it roll properly). I had good luck with the 9" roller over the rest of the wall. The paint covers beautifully in one coat. I followed the advice I read here and put the paint on generously. I was also careful to go over the edges to try to minimize the seams and I was sure to do the ceiling-to-floor strokes at the end of each column. My first coat was still a bit uneven, but I didn't get too concerned because I knew I had the second coat coming up.

I had a hard time doing the second coat (xx's) properly. At first, I did one wall and let it dry overnight. The next day I looked at it and was disappointed. It was very mottled -- I could see every brush stroke, especially where the stroke started and ended. I called the RL helpline and they suggested, to get the paint more even, to roll the coat on and use the brush to create the xx's. I tried that the following day and it worked much better. I completed the entire wall and I believe I achieved the proper look. However, it still looked like a bad paint job to me, with brush strokes going every which-a-way.

I decided to do a second coat just flat, using the 9" roller. I did the entire room this way, taking extra care to get an even finish along the seams.

The paint is now absolutely beautiful. I can feel the texture and, if you look closely, you can see different colors in the paint depending on how the light hits it. I really had to be patient and do a careful job, but I couldn't be happier with the effect.

I did my entire bedroom, which is 11' x 14', with a 11'6" ceiling. I used almost 5 gallons of paint (which is a lot, but remember I did one wall with 4 coats as I experimented).

My suggestion if you want to use the paint is try it on one one first to see if you like it. If it proves too difficult, hire a professional or choose another paint.

Good luck.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

Thread Closed
The Webmaster has closed this topic to new posts. Please see the “Most Relevant Post” as suggested by the forum Moderator or go to top of topic for a full history of this topic as it may have been answered. We also recommend searching other topics to see if your question has been answered or starting a new topic.

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC