> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Ralph Lauren Suade Paint
Login | Register

Ralph Lauren Suade Paint

Posted by Bonnie on April 5th, 2004 12:24 PM
In reply to Ralph Lauren Suede paint by Joe M on September 18th, 2002 08:09 AM [Go to top of thread]

Moderator Post:
> Ralph Lauren Paint Help by Handyman on 10/28/2004

I had my heart set on the suade paint despite all the negative postings and this past weekend I decided to try it for myself. I painted most of the walls tan and one wall in a deep green color. The project took me about 13 hours to complete but well worth it.

First I primed the walls with the Ralph lauren primer tinted the same as the selected colors. It took me two coats for good coverage.

Then I rolled on a base coat of the suade paint. Making sure to keep the roller very wet. I used a 3" brush for the ceiling line and then the smaller roller for the top and sides. The primer and first coat looked very different than the finished project! It is very true that you need to wait until the very end to get the true results.

On the second coat I rolled on a wide section of paint and then went back with the 3" brush and created the x pattern over the entire surface. Then I painted the next section and repeated the process. Making sure that I dragged the x's randomly along the seam of the rows. I think the key here is to work quickly. Once you decide to start a wall keep moving until you get to the end of that wall. I also recommend using the same gallon of paint for an entire wall. At least for the final coat.

I must say that I love the results! It turned out great. I think the secret is to be generous with the coverage. You don't want it dripping off the walls but more is better! I also highly recommend using a tinted primer. At least for the darker colors. I think the project would have turned out very differently without the base primer.

I did use the recommended rollers. I'm not sure if they were that important, but for a few extra bucks I would recommend them to insure the best results.

I completed two rooms and I have more to go before I am done. I did spill some tan paint on the green surface and was able to easily remove it with a damp cloth and a blotting motion. Do not scrub. I think they walls will hold up just fine.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC