> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Ralph Lauren Paints
Login | Register

Ralph Lauren Paints

Posted by Irene K, Ralph Lauren Paints Certified Applicator on May 25th, 1999 09:42 PM
In reply to Ralph Lauren River Rock Paint Application Tips by Lauren Jacobsen on December 30th, 1997 09:08 PM [Go to top of thread]

1 of 2 people found this post helpful

Moderator Post:
> Ralph Lauren Paint Help by Handyman on 10/27/2004

I often get referred to homeowner through the RL help desk at 800-379-POLO.
Most of the problems using the River Rock and Suede paints is that folks try
to apply them like a flat latex.

To cut in, RL sells a mini textured roller. First, you MUST be generous with the
product. Yes, it is pricey, but overstretching will work against you. Lots of paint
is needed - as it states on the textured cans, one gallon only covers half the area that the
non-textured paints do.

Don't cut in the entire room and then try to use the big textured roller to finish. Cut an area,
then roll it. Use very light pressure on the textured rollers. Don't push hard or
you'll get edge build up. Another problem is that many ignore the "dry roll" step.
When done a segment, you need to do the "floor to ceiling sweep" without dipping your
roller in the product first. Again, a light touch is the secret.

The first rolled coat will look nasty - I warn clients in advance so they don't freak and
think I don't know what I'm doing. The initial coat will look spotty and uneven. Ignore
that; the second coat will cover beautifully.

Unless doing the one-coat BRUSHED Suede technique, you don't have
to use a flat paint first. Yes, as with any paint job, you need to evaluate what is currently
on the walls and properly prep. This may well entail a primer (untinted) is you're going to
paint over "builder grade" or a very dark color with a light one. But that isn't dictated
by the RL textured products; it is just standard prep.

My site shows and discusses some other RL products,, if you're

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

Thread Closed
The Webmaster has closed this topic to new posts. Please see the “Most Relevant Post” as suggested by the forum Moderator or go to top of topic for a full history of this topic as it may have been answered. We also recommend searching other topics to see if your question has been answered or starting a new topic.

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC