> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Ralph Lauren paint doesn't stink!
Login | Register

Ralph Lauren paint doesn't stink!

Posted by Megan on March 31st, 2003 08:59 AM
In reply to you are right by leslie on February 27th, 2002 04:25 AM [Go to top of thread]

6 of 7 people found this post helpful

Moderator Post:
> Ralph Lauren Paint Help by Handyman on 10/27/2004

I find it very strange that so many have commented on the poor quality of RL paint. I am in the business of restoring older homes and have used every brand of paint on the market, right down to Wal Mart! I bought a home 2 1/2 years ago and painted every room but one in RL paint. I find RL paint to be far superior to any other brand.

Glidden does manufacture RL paints but it is not the same paint as Glidden. RL paint is made with more pigments, resins and binders which account for the higher cost and better quality. The color formula in most paints relies on a white base. THis is what gives 'hide' or coverage. Its that common quality that makes them, to me, appear very similar and boring. Ralph Lauren colors are unique in that in addition to a white base, translucent and black bases are used as well.

-Darker colors like red, deep rose, some purples, navy, etc. are sometimes made with a translucent base.
-If you don't use primer and are painting over a lighter color the paint will streak.
-If you use a satin finish over a satin finish it will streak. The gloss factor will not let the new coat adhere.
-Satin and semi-gloss finishes should go over a primed coat or eggshell/flatt surfaces.
-It is important to paint wet edge to wet egde. If you let an area dry before resuming you may end up with a line of demarcation.
- Even pressure on the roller will give even coverage.
-Read the back of the color card. If it reccomends to use a primer first ask the technician what pigment the base is. If you don't want to paint multiple coats then make sure there is lamp black or white pigment in the formula.

For example, I chose RL Congo Red for my dining room and I was painting semi-gloss over a light flat finish. I used the matching primer and applied 2 coats. I applied 2 coats of the Congo Red after the primer dried and I was not happy with the coverage. I looked at the paint can lid to see what pigments were used. White and Lamp Black were not listed so I knew the paint had a translucent base and it was going to require more coats. The translucent base also gives a 'clearer' hue, which results in a brighter overall effect.

I decided to go back to the paint store and choose another red shade. I chose Oarlock but asked the sales person to check if lamp black was used in the base. It was. I applied it over the Congo, Satin over the semi-gloss and in one coat it exactly what I wanted. I learned from my mistake. Educate yourself and ask questions! There is nothing wrong with the paint. I just painted it wrong.

I have a large rooms with 11 foot ceilings and I painted every color in my house with less that one gallon of paint. With the exception of the dinign room all RL colors I used covered the walls in one coat with plenty left over for cutting in and touch ups.

I used a pink shade by Behr in the tiniest room in the house and it took the entire gallon of paint to cover the streaks.

I only use RL paints now for interior walls. The $27 is more economical than 2 gallons, or more, at $20 for a cheaper brand.

But I always check the pigment formula in darker shades first. If you had a bad experience with RL give it antoher try. If you've been put off on RL by horror stories don't buy in. It really is good paint.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

Thread Closed
The Webmaster has closed this topic to new posts. Please see the “Most Relevant Post” as suggested by the forum Moderator or go to top of topic for a full history of this topic as it may have been answered. We also recommend searching other topics to see if your question has been answered or starting a new topic.

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC