> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Raising the roof and adding a second story to a single story house
Login | Register

Raising the roof and adding a second story to a single story house

Posted by Lindsay Witmer on October 16th, 2000 12:01 PM

Recently my fiance and I were talking to his mother. We live with her and her husband. We were in the process of looking for a house or apartment when she sugguested that we just add on to their house since Nick is an only child he will inherit the house anyways when his parents pass. The house was built between 1960-1975 I'm not sure of the definite year. It is a ranch house which had an addition put on in the early 80's. There really is no more room to build out so I guess that our only option is to go up. Would this be hard and costly? We are on a budget and before we jumped into this I wanted to know whether it is possible and how costly a project like this would be. the house is not that big, it is yourbasic 3 bedroom 1 and a half bath, we were interested in adding a second story and making that a living area for us with a kitchen living room 2 bedrooms and 1 bath. What do you think of this and would the idea work, and also how costly would it be? My dad has friends who do plumbing electrical and a lot of house building functions, I would just like thoughts on the idea and a ball park figure for how much it would cost.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC