> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Railroad tie retaining wall
Login | Register

Railroad tie retaining wall

Posted by Ron Joseph on June 25th, 2001 09:38 PM

9 of 11 people found this post helpful

I am in the process on putting in a railroad tie retaining wall around an above ground pool.

The area at one end is about 25ft wide and 3.5 to 4ft high. The second area is connected at a 90 degree corner and goes the length of the pool about 35 ft and starts at 3.5 to 4ft and ends at about 18 inches. I have buried the base tie and plan on alternating the ties. I am using 9ft ties. On the 4ft high wall I am planning on going back into the hill with a 4ft tie and "T" at the end and bury it to the support the wall. On the 25ft run I was planning on doing this 9ft from the corner and again 9ft from there.

I am also planning on driving 1" rebar through the overlaps from top to bottom and two foot into the ground through the last tie. I figure that I will drive rebar through every three to four feet as well.

The drainage will be at the base using 4" drain pipe and tie that into the main drain the front yard and out to the street going under the sidewalk. I was going to use a weed block material around the pipes to keep out soil and the like and surround the pipe with about 6" of rock.

I am looking for suggestions as to if I am on the right track here or am I out in left field.

Help the wife is getting impatient.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC