> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Questions ...
Login | Register

Questions ...

Posted by Jay J -Moderator on April 10th, 2001 03:40 PM
In reply to laminate floors by judie meltzer on April 10th, 2001 08:24 AM [Go to top of thread]

Hi Judie,

What room(s) are you looking to install this in? (Kitchen, bathrooms, basement ...)
What do you have for flooring now? (Sub-flooring, crawlspace, ...)
What's 'under' the existing floor in the rooms you're installing in? (Concrete, joists, etc...)
Do you want to staple or 'inter-lock' your flooring?

There's so much out there that it's easy to get confused as to what to buy. Not all laminated flooring is suited for every room in every situation. You can 'help yourself' by visiting the different stores and looking at their Warranty as well as their Installation Instructions. There's' hidden information in there, like when (and when they won't) cover certain damage. That's a clue as to what rooms you'd want to (or not want to) put the flooring in. Also, depending on what's UNDER the flooring, you may not get past Step 2 in the Installation Instructions because you may not find 'info' on your particular situation.

Also, laminate comes in plastic and wood. It also comes in 'layers', where the layers may consist of only 1 'wear' layer and a couple more 'laminate' layers. Some you can refinish, some you can't. Oh, yes, there's more.

I think what you'd want to do, again, is visit the stores and start asking questions. Oh, and some flooring ISN'T really meant for the Do-It-Yourselfer! IF you're doing the work yourself, be SURE to get a copy of the Installation Instructions FIRST (before you buy) to see if you can RENT or buy the equipment. Remember, if you end up renting the equipment, will your Rental Store be open on Sat. night or Sunday if something breaks? (Just my thoughts on that.)

My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J -Moderator

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC