> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Question using plastic piece to fix drywall corner
Login | Register

Question using plastic piece to fix drywall corner

Posted by Mike C. on February 5th, 2003 12:01 PM

I have an older house and the drywall corners in the stairwell between first and second story has lost adhesiion. The drywall work was originally done with paper tape. I have had problems with all of the drywall taping, but in this case I think the problem may be more severe due to settling. The tape looks like one wall has shifted relative to the other.

The local home improvement store suggested I use a plastic corner piece perforated with holes. I bought a strip, but I'm not sure how to use it.

I have removed the existing tape, and will have to cut down the width of the plastic piece to fit the remaining recess. When I stick the plastic piece in the channel, it does not mate up square. The two legs of the plastic piece are less than 90 degrees.

Is this stuff better than just paper tape? I would guess it would be more durable.

How do I use it? Do I mud the crack first, then install the form? Do I use drywall screws to make it conform to the corner? Do I apply paper tape over it to give a smooth surface?

It is a pain to fix these seams. I had to build a platform on the stairs to stand on to reach the seams, so I definitely don't want to have to go back and redo them later.

Any comments will be appreciated.


Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC