> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Question for Steve S.
Login | Register

Question for Steve S.

Posted by Wick on April 22nd, 2002 01:14 PM
In reply to Getting back to Moderator, by Steve S. on April 19th, 2002 06:27 AM [Go to top of thread]

Steve, that price sounds extremely high for any part of the country. However, is that price "including" the lumber, i.e., he's going to provide all materials? As I recall in your original post, I and I believe Moderator Steve answered with prices based solely on "labor", excluding the cost of materials.

So a suggestion for you, check out the local price of the lumber, subtract it from his estimate, and see what he is charging for labor (provided my presumtion is correct, that he is including materials in his bid). Typically, a contractor gets a "slight" discount on his materials, but at the same time charges a mark-up to the consumer for the "convience" of the consumer not having to order and deal with the lumber company.

Bottom line, is that you might save a little buying the lumber on your own. Also, the "better quality" pressure treated lumber most likely means that he'll pick and choose from what the lumber company sends out and will have a second shipment or two made for the pieces that are sub-par (which will be returned).

P.S., Have you thought of doing it yourself?

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC