> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Quest pipe/Polybutylene
Login | Register

Quest pipe/Polybutylene

Posted by Kurt Bramstedt on September 28th, 2000 10:19 PM
In reply to polybutylene piping problems by Kathy on September 19th, 2000 08:51 PM [Go to top of thread]

9 of 12 people found this post helpful

Moderator Post:
> My Polybutylene, Poly Butyl, Plastic, PB, Quest/Qwest pipe is leaking or brittle, Find Help Here! by Handyman on 10/28/2004

My advice would be to stay away from the condo unless you want to repipe it. I am a salesman for a plumbing wholesaler and manufacturer in California. My boss used to represent Quest pipe and is still getting depositions for lawsuits involving the product. Many building officials are now reluctant to approve other new types of pipes for us in their cities because of the lawsuits on Quest. One city, Santa Maria, Ca was named in a $5 million lawsuit because they approve the product.

It is not a matter if the product will fail, but when. Here in California, everyone in the plumbing industry knows about it. The 2 problems were that the pipe would split or the aluminum crimps would fail as aluminum expands easily with heat.

If the water quality in the area of the condo is non-acidic ( ph level preferably in the range of 7.5 to 8.5) go with type K copper. I would not recommend PEX pipe, but would recommend KITEC pipe. It is a composite pipe which has a 30 year warranty on the pipe and fittings, can handle a water ph range of 2 thru 12, is 865 times better insulating than copper, and offer 20 to 70% better flow rate than PEX. It is also the quietest pipe available. Look up KITEC on the web and you should be able to find their website. It is produced by a company called IPEX out of Canada, with offices in Denver.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC