> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > pvc or pe
Login | Register

pvc or pe

Posted by bc on August 25th, 2000 05:28 PM
In reply to Roll or sections by C.H.Hanson on August 25th, 2000 12:06 PM [Go to top of thread]

You've mentioned a new one to me. PVC is a hard and stiff pipe usually white in color that comes in sections (10' and 20' with the 20' sections having preformed collars on them) that are solvent welded together with a solvent after cleaning with a primer(Oatey is a good brand of solvent and primer). Please enlighten me on who makes and where you can buy roll "pvc". I know some who use pipe that comes in a roll for water line and sprinkler systems that is black in color but that is polyethylene pipe a/k/a pe. PE pipe is not solvent welded or glued but uses swege fittings with clamps to make the fittings secure. I have seen the pe pipe split out at the location of the clamps and leak. Last time I looked, black roll "pe" pipe is cheaper buy I prefer a schedule 40 "pvc" for long term and buried use. Pvc is a thicker pipe than the pe. PE is used more in climates that aren't as susceptible to freezing. They also have an orange pipe on a roll of long lengths used in the oilfields but it isn't "pvc" either.

All pipe has an ASTM number that can be traced to what it may be used for. Check the ratings on both pipes and also talk to the city water department as to what they recommend since they deal with it all the time.

I wouldn't go any smaller than 2" but would want to see some pressure and water main size information to properly calculate the pressure loss to properly size the line. I say for my 2 cents worth of opinion that best is pvc but cheaper is pe on a roll. I would also say a Cadillac is better but a Yugo is cheaper. You get what you pay for.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC