> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Problems with K&T wiring
Login | Register

Problems with K&T wiring

Posted by Jay Goshen on April 17th, 1999 08:11 AM
In reply to Knob and tube wiring by Mark M. on April 11th, 1999 11:45 PM [Go to top of thread]

The largest problem with this style of wiring is that it is undersized for todays modern world and the wealth of appliances and 'plug in' accesories that are being used. The wire will tend to get hot and thereby degrade the insulation on the wire, that is if the squirels and mice haven't eaten it off already. Although a GFCI will work properly with K&T there still isn't a ground, which could cause shocks on some appliances (washers, driers, refriderators, dishwashers and garbage disposals are the worst). Although it's liable to cost several thousand to rewire a good sized B&B it is a lot cheaper than building a new one which eventually will happen, even if it's 50 years from now. I would at the very least run a new circuit to the room in question and wire to todays standards.
Jay Goshen

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC