> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Problem priming drywall
Login | Register

Problem priming drywall

Posted by John F on November 18th, 2002 04:25 PM
In reply to Go for it. by bc on February 11th, 2000 12:42 PM [Go to top of thread]

4 of 4 people found this post helpful

Has anyone experienced problems of priming new drywall with Kilz Premium latex primer? (I think it used to be called Kilz TotalOne). I remodeled my kitchen and installed new drywall. I wiped down all the walls and seams to remove dust prior to priming and painting. I taped the edges with painterís masking tape (blue in color) for the trim and corners of walls having different colors. I removed the masking tape the next day and it pulled paint & primer off the wall in various spots down to the joint compound. It only happened where there was adhesion to the joint compound not the drywall paper. My guess is that the primer was defective; it seemed too thick and not able to soak into and make a good adhesion to the joint compound. I thought maybe the paint was not fully cured, so I waited 6 months and again tested a small area with masking tape but it still pulled off both paint & primer. I'm guessing the only way to resolve the problem is to sand the finish back down to the joint compound and start again. Has anyone had a similar problem with this or another primer product?

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC