> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Probably Too Late...
Login | Register

Probably Too Late...

Posted by cabinet_man on November 17th, 2001 10:18 PM
In reply to Installing kitchen cabinets with a soffit by Beverly on July 9th, 2001 12:51 PM [Go to top of thread]

Well, I just ran across this posting, hopefully someone else will need this info and find it useful, unless you are living with 'the gap'. We use a scribe molding, simply, a flat piece of molding, rounded on one edge, about 3/16" thick, and about 3/4" wide, to cover the gap. House construction is never accurate, and cabinets are built square! Walls and soffitts are always NEVER square, plumb, true, and level, particularly with drywall mud bulges, etc. The scribe molding can be sanded or cut to the same slope as the soffitt, thus allowing a tight fit, simply tack it to the faceframe of the cabinet! EVERY soffitt installation we do, professionally, uses some type of molding at the top, and with size restrictions, it's almost always scribe. There is a subtle crown molding available, called 'soffitt crown' which is only 1" in height, but is not 'scribable', in other words, you cannot remove as much of the molding to follow the slope, without sacrificing the look of the molding.
Hope this helps someone!!
Regards, Mark

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC