> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Probably right
Login | Register

Probably right

Posted by bc on March 30th, 2000 11:45 AM
In reply to "flood level" by regina in IL on March 29th, 2000 10:59 PM [Go to top of thread]

I'm with Regina that this is probably a floodplain issue. Fema does floodplain maps and it is a very expensive and timeconsuming process to change the maps for a city. You cannot build on a floodway period. If your house or even 1 square foot of your property is in the 100 year floodplain then you have to have the insurance.

However, if a portion of your property has a finger of the floodplain come into it, you can haul dirt and raise the level. You have to hire an engineer to shoot your elevations and to certify that it is now out of the floodplain. This can take a few months and can run into some expense. This is done around here some. You don't need a lawyer to do it but contact your city zoning administrator to check the map where your property is. One of the hats I wear is chairman of our city planning commission. Developers will plat lots that reach into the floodplain and as it develops will then raise those areas and recertify them.

Raising the house alone will not cut it as they go by land elevation. If a major portion of your house and lot are in the floodplain, then it can become very expensive to raise the entire area. It could be that you can raise the lot and get by without raising the house. Another caveat is that you can't just haul in dirt and then dump the water on your neighbors. You will need a carefully engineered plan which allows for drainage etc. if your neighbors are also in the floodplain. Good luck and post back with what you find out.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC