> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > pro and cons
Login | Register

pro and cons

Posted by Henry in MI on February 15th, 2003 08:45 PM
In reply to removal of paint from wood trim by Chris on February 15th, 2003 09:22 AM [Go to top of thread]

Chris, there is really nothing major wrong with using heat to remove paint. It has been one way that's been used for years. Personally, I think that the chemical strippers are a much better and safer choice. If there is lead paint, the lead stays in suspension with the chemical stripper. If you should happen to get the lead paint too hot, the lead does become airborne.

I think that you do less scraping and the scraping is easier with the chemical method. One downside to the chemicals is that methyl chloride is more dangerous that I want to use. There are several alternate materials. Some stripper suppliers make different formulations for different situations. Peel Away is one of these and my current brand of choice.

With chemical stripper decisions, you will be trading working time for safety. No stripper can ever be made that will always be totally safe for every person in every situation. Heck, you can drown in 4" of water or less in the bathtub and that's even if you don't slip first getting in and crack your skull. But if you approach your decisions reasonably, wear your safety gear and follow the usage instructions, you should be safe with either.

Henry in MI

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC