> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Preventing Mildew
Login | Register

Preventing Mildew

Posted by Andrew on November 19th, 1999 01:11 PM

First, thanks to the regulars - you have helped me immensely!
Now, for the problem: My wife and I have a 1958 ranch home on Long Island. The living room has a bay window facing south. It is a 5-panel
Anderson, approx. 5.5' tall by 7' wide total size. Only the end panels open and close with cranks (casement style). We recently had a decorator
install full-length curtains in the window on a curved rod that follows the window shape. They are made of cotton & linen, and are 'semi-sheer' -
you can see shadows/light through them, but that's about it. We had them installed in early summer, and recently noticed mildew/mold spots on
the curtains. We were able to have them cleaned, but they are delicate, and we're not sure they would do well after repeated cleanings. I am
assuming that the problem is that the condensation that we occassionally get on the inside of the panels that open is adding moisture to the
curtains. Is there a way to prevent this? Is there anything we can treat the curtains with to prevent the grwoth of the mildew/mold? The decorator
hasn't made any recommendations, and neither has the cleaner. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC