> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Prep is the Word
Login | Register

Prep is the Word

Posted by Ron on February 8th, 2000 02:23 PM
In reply to Painting- Which comes first? by Steve S. on February 8th, 2000 12:08 PM [Go to top of thread]

I typically prep by:
* Clear the room of furnature.
* Remove all wall plates and tape the switches & receptacles.
* Remove heat & cold air return.
* Tape the baseboards to paper or plactic.
* Tape around windows and door trim.
* fill then sand with a block, any holes or markes in the walls that you wish to cover.
* Cover the floor.

Then to paint:
* I start with a brush and do the corners around the ceiling.
* If the ceiling and walls are different colors, you finish the ceiling first, then CAREFULLY cut a line at the top of the walls with a brush for the wall color. I don't worry about getting ceiling paint at the top of the walls and only cut once for the walls.
* If the ceiling & walls are the same color, then brush all corners & edges prior to rolling.
* Rolling should be the final step.

Remember to pour a small amount of paint into a paint pail when trimming and not to carry around the full gallon of paint. Accidents do happen, & I wouldn't want to clean up an entire gallon of spilled paint!!!!!!!

I like the plactic paint tray covers that you throw out for about 35 cents each. They are well worth the money.

Enjoy & Take your Time. Always use a DRY roller or brush, not a wet one that you cleaned. If you want to stop for awhile, wrap the roller or brush in plastic wrap to keep it wet with paint.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC