> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Prehung interior doors
Login | Register

Prehung interior doors

Posted by DAN MELANCON on April 10th, 2003 10:46 AM

I recently bought a new house in Bartlett, TN. Before the sale, I advised the builders that the doors did not fit properly. They corrected some of the problems by repositioning the door stops to match the door but some of the doors are too tight and the doors make a popping sound when they are open.

Other problems appear that the doors are warped and do not fit properly in the door frame. There may be as much as 1/4 to 1/2 inch spacing on the same door. The top of the door can be pushed in at least a 1/2 inch when the door are closed. I contacted the builder who sent out his interior carpenter and he stated that the doors were installed according to industry standards. The builder also sent out a representative of the pre-hung door company who also stated that the doors were build to industry standards. When asked what the standards were, his reply was that the doors will close and are sealable.

The builder maintains that he cannot do any more to correct the problems. This is my fourth home that I have purchase, the first three homes were already built. The builder was advised that the doors in my first three homes worked properly. The builder is telling me that this is the quality of door construction in the homes built today.

What are the industry standards as far as the spacing and closing of pre-hung doors? Who would I need to contact to get an unbiased second opinion?

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC