> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Pre-formed concrete walls
Login | Register

Pre-formed concrete walls

Posted by Sean on July 27th, 2000 08:49 AM
In reply to pre-cast basement walls! by Mike on July 26th, 2000 11:47 AM [Go to top of thread]

I think I need someone to enlighten me on how this would save time and money.

A good crew who know how to do their work can set up the forms in no time and then the concrete is poured. Concrete sets and forms are removed. Voila!

Handling 10 foot sections of concrete must require some sort of heavy machinery and inherent danger as well. Unlike with poured concrete, which basically levels itself out due to gravity, pre-formed slabs would not do so. I would imagine that this requires that the footings be perfect as there is little or no room for correction once the slabs are installed.

Which is stronger/more resistant to leaks and frost heave - continuous concrete or mortered and bolted joints? I would be curious for insights on this.

How would this keep the cost of a house down? It sounds more labour intensive to me and adds another step, the off-site manufacture of the slabs, to the overall cost. In standard concrete basement construction this cost is rolled into the onsite pouring of the concrete.

I am curious to hear answers to these questions. I am probably just missing the boat on some key points.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC