> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > power-vent
Login | Register

Posted by Ron on October 6th, 1999 11:55 AM
In reply to power-venting the furnace a good idea? by Nancy on October 5th, 1999 04:21 PM [Go to top of thread]

Many of the newer efficient furnaces use power-vent technology. Houses that don't have chimneys can use gas furnaces and water heaters with power-vents. These appliances are usually recognized by the (usually white) plastic pipe exiting the top of the appliance that vents to the outside of the house. It uses a special fan to vent the spent fuel byproducts to the outside of the house.
I don't know whether a power-vent can be adapted to an existing furnace, especially if it was not designed to use one. The power-vent furnaces are so efficient that the spent exhaust gas is not very hot when it reached the power-vent fan. If you mounted the power-vent fan onto an old furnace, it may produce too much exhause heat and melt the fan.
You could always buy a new furnace that uses power vent technology. I don't know the age or condition of your existing unit?
I know that power-vent water heaters run about $900 versus traditional water heaters that use a chimney run about $250.

First, find out whether your existing furnace is designed to be power-vented. Then, go from there.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC