> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Power to ceiling fan
Login | Register

Power to ceiling fan

Posted by Robert Wallace on August 31st, 1999 06:57 AM
In reply to ceiling fan install w/o current light fixture by Ray on August 30th, 1999 05:54 PM [Go to top of thread]

I've installed several lights and ceilings without existing power in rental properties as well as my existing house. What helped me is obtaining books on residential wiring and DIY (do-it-yourself) books. "It makes good bed time reading". Anyway, first locate where you want to install your switch, probably near the door entry or perhaps gang it with an existing switch (sw.) making a double sw. location. You will have to tap into an existing power source near this location for a new sw. or into the adjacent sw. if you gang it making a double sw. location. If you use a new sw. this source should be nearest to the chosen switch location. Locate where you want to install the ceiling fan and cut your hole the size of your new mounting bracket (bracket must be made for ceiling fans!!) You will have to bore a hole from the attic through the top place just above the switch location and run your wire, typically #14/2, from the ceiling opening thru this hole and thru the wall down to the switch location and another wire from the switch location to the power source (outlet)if using a new sw. location. As for your wiring connections again, consult an electrical wiring or a DIY book on how to tap into an existing power source and add a light controlled by a switch. This is a good project and once you've done it the first time the other rooms are a breeze. Wish you well and God Bless!!!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC