> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > power surge problems with heater cycling
Login | Register

power surge problems with heater cycling

Posted by LJ in TX on December 5th, 2001 07:52 PM
In reply to Lights dimming, Power fluctuating to computer. by Dale on December 5th, 2001 08:24 AM [Go to top of thread]

Dale, please post back with more details is your heater electric? has it been recently installed or replaced? how long has this been going on ....? how long have you lived in the house and how long ago did this start happening...assumming it used to not happen at all.....!? Is the computer a recent addition to that outlet/circuit...??since the computer is probably hooked to the same circuit as the heater and the lights!! do the lights just in the rooom with the computer flicker or do all the lgihts in the house flicker...??? answering some of these other questions will help us all better diagnose it for you.....although I agree with everyone else that ultimately you will need to get an certified electrician out to diagnose and fix the problem! post back with some answers and we will try and help some more.....

I had an Central air/heat(natural gas) blower in the attic that was tied to the same circuit as some lighting in one of my rooms and I could notice a similar dimming of the lights every time the AC/Heat blower would cycle on....due to the large motor startup surge that would occur...and then return to pretty much normal once it got running. your heater blower motor draws a significant amount of power at startup. If you have electric central heat, the elements should have its own separate power feed just for it since it demands a lot of power too. hope this helps ! LJ

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC