> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Portable AC Units
Login | Register

Portable AC Units

Posted by Chris in DC on April 17th, 2001 04:51 PM

Here is the situation. We have a 1912 Foursquare in Washington DC where the temps soar in the summer, but the humidity is the real killer. We have a couple of window units for the upstairs bedrooms and can close off the rooms to cool the areas well at night. I plan on insulating the attic in the fall, which has no insulation at all right now. We aren't in the market to spend $10k right now to get central AC retrofitted into the house, but certainly need to cool the downstairs. We are looking at portable AC units since none of our windows on the first floor can accomodate a window unit. My question is, is it possible to cool about 1200 square feet of space with a portable unit, or will I just be wasting $$? I'm not looking to create a meat locker, just get the temp and humidity down. There are many piano windows on the first floor, and most will be getting adequate window treatments to block out the sun.

Thanks in advance.

BTW, my original mahogany doors are being stripped to the wood from under at least 10 layers of paint and are getting a couple of coats of satin oil poly. They look great with the original patina and stain. Thanks, in part, to the advice I have gotten regarding finishes from many of the contributers to this board.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC