> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Popular Question ...
Login | Register

Popular Question ...

Posted by Jay J -Moderator on November 6th, 2000 10:27 AM
In reply to laminate flooring and a dog by Sarah on November 5th, 2000 11:10 AM [Go to top of thread]

Hi Sarah,

If you talk to a Pergo/Laminate Flooring Retailer, you'll probably hear that laminates are just fine for animals with claws. But if you talk to a Carpet Retailer, you will probably hear that Pergo/Laminate flooring is not good if you have animals with claws. What you want to do is talk to people that have this type of flooring and have pets. Trouble is, how do you find them?

In the absence of getting this type of information, you can only rely on the experience (whether it be 1st hand or last hand) from people you 'ask'. (Such may be the case with Steve:.) No, I don't have pets at home nor do I have Pergo/Laminate flooring. BUT, most (not all) that I've read and heard about Pergo/Laminates wasn't good. But again, you have to dig a little. High-heels aren't good for a many laminate floors. Neither is heavy furniture good for some laminates. It goes on and on. YOu have to match the laminate with the intended use (as Jim says.)

Some laminates are plastic, some are wood. And of the ones that are wood, maybe only the TOPmost layer is solid. And maybe the ENTIRE laminate is solid wood. It can get really deep, BUT, the way I personally see it (since I have 3/4" hardwood oak in my home), is that it will scratch no matter what. It will certainly get worn a lot quicker than if you didn't have any dogs. The biggest 'selling point' with laminates is that they're directed towards the DIYer. So, in many cases, when the flooring has 'had its day', you simply throw it out and install a new one. (My floor, for example, can be refinished 2-3 times w/o having to replace it after it's been 'worn out'.) Shop around, compare material, prices, and features. You will find a lot of differences out there.

Other than that, if you have more ?'s, do post up. My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J -Moderator

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC