> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Popped nail's what I did...
Login | Register

Popped nail's what I did...

Posted by Rick on March 15th, 2001 06:48 PM
In reply to Nails popping through drywall by Joel B. on February 14th, 2001 11:08 PM [Go to top of thread]

To further expand on what the previous posters mentioned...My home was vacant for 4 years before I purchased, therefore, the lack of constant temperature and humidity really accelerated the popped nail situation. Here's what I did to several thousand (believe it or not) popped nails. First, using a utility knife, cut a circle around the bump to expose the nail head. If it is already exposed skip this step. Don't cut deep, just enough to remove the paint and spackle over the head. Then use the ball end of a ballpeen hammer to drive the nail in about 1/2 an inch. Gently tap the edges of the dimple to minimize the cracking of paint. Now screw a 6 x 1 5/8" COARSE drywall screw along the head of the nail so you overlap the nail head. You can now spackle over the dimple. I've been successfull with 3-4 coats...but I'm a perfectionest and perhaps there is a spackle that shrinks less. Oh well...I have not had ONE nail come back out in six years and the walls/ceilings look great. Not fun but a good work out. Funny thing is that when I go to someone's house I can spot nail problems a from mile away. Hope this helps.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC