> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > popcorn
Login | Register

Posted by Sean on January 26th, 2003 01:46 PM
In reply to aspestos by Drew on July 30th, 2002 07:55 PM [Go to top of thread]

My wife and i purchaced a townhouse which was built in 1980.
We have popcorn ceilings which we wanted to remove.
I started to remove the ceiling useing a drywall knife after really soaking the ceiling with water.
I did wear a mask. some of the ceiling mud fell onto the carpet. I started rembering that someone said i should have a sample tested.
I went ot the lab and they said they could not test till next day. They also said if there is aspestos in the ceiling mud, it was probley not enough to panic over. I went home and ran into some contractor friends of mine that said you'd have to work with the stuff every day to have any timely danger to you or the family. I went home and continued. Today i got my results of 3%in the mud.
Now i panic, I feel i have put my family in serious danger. I've read some stuff about prep in doing this work in isolation, wearing a suit ect. I really did none of the above till it was too late.
Can someone who has real knowlege and not in it for the money, please tell me what i should do at this point. I feel like i'm dealing with Antrax or somthing.
I can not afford to have a full strike team come to my houseto remove this stuff and put us in Quarentine, but i worry about my wife and our three year old son. I have now put plastic up to close off the area in which i was working. But as they said in the lab, the damage is already done.
What does one do in this case and where do i despose of it. I double bagged it when it was wet.
Do i continue at this point or do i pay a fortune to have the rest of that room done. Please help.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC