> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > polybutylene piping problems
Login | Register

polybutylene piping problems

Posted by Kathy on September 19th, 2000 08:51 PM

23 of 28 people found this post helpful

Moderator Post:
> My Polybutylene, Poly Butyl, Plastic, PB, Quest/Qwest pipe is leaking or brittle, Find Help Here! by Handyman on 10/28/2004

My daughter found a condo within her budget and that she really liked but the home inspector found polybutylene piping. Can you give me any insite into pbp? We have heard there is a class action suit against the manufacturer of pbp until 2004 whereby they will replace the piping should it burst. Of course, should the piping burst after you leave for work then the place would be a disaster upon returning home - then again, what happens if your neighbors pipes burst? The condo is 12 years old. My husband talked to a few plumbers and they seem to advise against buying. We don't know if we are overreacting to something that might never happen or it is best to look for a place without pbp. Would appreciate any information and/or advice you can give us as she needs to make a decision soon.

TOP OF THREAD EDIT BY MODERATOR... The Cox vs. Shell settlement involves certain polybutylene plumbing systems installed between January 1, 1978 and July 31, 1995. Claimants may be eligible for a replacement of their plumbing system at no charge and/or a leak expense reimbursement if they qualify.

Claimant must presently own or have previously owned a home plumbed with a polybutylene plumbing system and they must have experienced a qualifying leak. Claimant can complete a claim eligibility form on line at pbpipe or request a claim eligibility form from by calling 1-800-392-7591 or by writing to the Consumer Plumbing Recovery Center (CPRC) at PO Box 869006, Plano, TX 75086-9006. The CPRC will review the form and determine the claimant’s eligibility. For more details visit pbpipe

This information is posted at the ******* FAQ and has been added to this post to assist persons using search engines that arrive at this web site. ******* FAQ

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC