> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Poly
Login | Register

Posted by Henry in MI on February 16th, 2003 06:03 PM
In reply to Poly. by Canadian in CA on February 16th, 2003 03:58 PM [Go to top of thread]

Honestly, the big decision is between water based and oil based. Oil based has an amber hue. Water based is clear. I believe that oil based is more protective and 2 coats of that are a good amount. These would take 2-3 days for your cabinets to be out of service since each coat really needs to dry for 12 hours or so. Water based holds up well and dries much faster. It is common to apply more coats, 3-4 or so. You should be able to do this in 2 days max.

The only testing that you would need is if you are staining and question the exact shade that you will get. I think that the combined poly and stains are actually very difficult to apply evenly and uneven application means uneven color. You do not have to stain at all. Some strippers will remove a little of the color and most will remove so little, if any, that it will not be noticable. Do be aware that the color of the wood or stained wood will be different once a clear finish has been applied.

Sorry that there is not one clear cut favorite. One comment that I would make though is that a satin finish does not show dents and defects and fingerprints and waterspots as much as a glossy finish. You cabinets may look great with a high gloss finish but whoever has to take care of them may not be as pleased a few months later.

(A little secret of mine is that I dump a bunch of talcum powder in my oil based poly. Some here have a fit when I say that but I have learned to stir the can to get the right amount of talc up into the poly. If I don't shake or stir the can, I apply it as gloss. You can use the same method to apply a coat or 2 of gloss and a coat of satin for a top coat out of the same can. With something like cabinets, you probably will not use anywhere near a gallon on them an I buy it in gallons always. I've been doing it with paint a lot of times over a lot of years and I understand that experience doing it is part of the secret. You do have to keep the talc stirred to maintain the amount as you apply a satin finish.)

Henry in MI

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

• Poly. by Canadian in CA  2/16/03 03:58 PM

Topic Follow-ups:

• Poly by Canadian in CA  2/16/03 11:26 PM
  • Poly by Henry in MI  2/17/03 05:29 AM
  • Poly by Henry in MI  2/17/03 05:40 AM
  • Poly by Canadian in CA  2/17/03 09:40 AM
  • finish stripper by Henry in MI  2/17/03 09:47 PM

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC