> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > pole-barn house
Login | Register

pole-barn house

Posted by Bgosman on January 26th, 2003 01:50 PM
In reply to barn-houses by dennis foldesy on April 2nd, 2002 10:53 AM [Go to top of thread]

1 of 1 people found this post helpful

Moderator Post:
> Pole Barn Houses by dmasher on 11/08/2004

I built mine in the summer of 2000. I got the usual raised eyebrows and the "huh...I didn't know you could do that!" comments. I built the barn 18' tall and have living quarters in one end upstairs with mechanicals and storage below. I used 2" blue Styrofoam under the concrete floor and 3/4" Tuff-R sheathing under the metal roof and siding. I've never had a condensation problem. I use a closed loop geothermal system for heat with a backup outdoor wood boiler for tempering the concrete floor. (Nice when I need to work on the backhoe and it's zero outside.) My average electric bill is $55.00 a month...not too bad for a 50'x80' building with 24'X 50' living area that I keep 72 degrees all year. I wanted a simple floor plan and a sturdy structure which made a pole barn an easy choice. There is no question if something should happen, I would do it this way again. Please feel free to contact me at with any questions.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC