> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > pole barn homes
Login | Register

pole barn homes

Posted by lee on January 9th, 2001 01:24 AM
In reply to POLE BARNS by bc on January 8th, 2001 12:00 PM [Go to top of thread]

1 of 7 people found this post helpful

Moderator Post:
> Pole Barn Houses by dmasher on 11/08/2004

Your kidding right ? I have seen some beautiful homes built here in Ohio and some other states. There are many companies on the net that sell kits. Cost can be low to the high end, depends on materials you us. They can be on a slab floor or wood floor.As for housing codes they vary from town to town, county to county but you can build to there codes. Carter Lumber here sells kits for barns and can work to make it a house. Imagination is what made this country great and gave us the many types of house you see today.
Not every person can afford the high price ticket homes today but have the heart and insight to see around the corner. I added onto our home 7 years ago and it was the first time I ever did something like that but I sure won't close my mind to other ways to build. We are selling this summer and I am going to build ether a barn house or maybe a green house home.

You may find sites on log cabins. You can buy pole barn kits at lumber yards, with the poles, lumber, and corrugated tin roofing and siding. Are you thinking about living in one? Are you going to live with a dirt floor? Are you going to insulate it? Windows, doors, walls, heat, a/c, etc.? A basic pole barn won't meet basic housing codes.

Since you at least need a concrete slab floor, instead of pouring around buried poles, just pour a regular slab the right way and use a post and beam construction or standard stud walls. You aren't saving anything by burying the poles and you probably couldn't sell a pole barn house when done except maybe as a kennel. Sounds like you want to build something for itinerant farm workers.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC