> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Points 3 and 4
Login | Register

Points 3 and 4

Posted by Henry in MI on October 14th, 1999 07:57 AM
In reply to With a little luck, it can be worked out by TomR on October 13th, 1999 09:17 PM [Go to top of thread]

Thanks for your time and explaination, Tom. I would like to tell you though about my experience at another board, one that *** **** might have had some interest in if there had not been some changes many years ago--if you get my drift.

I went to their board just to look around. Not much there as far as real meaty information, but they did have a board so I decided to check it out. First, I found that I can apply for a password but I cannot post until they deign to give me one. I do apply on the way to the board, which I can view as a "guest". I look at the posts in my favorite subject areas and I notice that there do not seem to be many different people posting. There is not much activity at all and what there is seems to be between the same people going back and forth.

The next morning, I receive E-mail with a password and try to use it twice before giving up. At that point, I politely sent them back an E-mail telling them to remove me from their list because 1.)their site was too hard to navigate, 2.) the content was not as good as this one, and 3.)it was too long and difficult to get on to ask a question.

Major point number 2 is that I also post on several NASCAR racing boards. If you think this board can get rude, mean and nasty, you haven't been to a bad one of those. But that is a part of the freedom of the internet. People are given the freedom to say what they want to say. On those boards and at this one, posters who go over the line get told to post appropriately and quickly go somewhere else or clean up their act. I really have to thank Jay J for policing this board and keeping things toned down. Personally, I learned from the racing board to just put people that you do not want to talk to on "ignore". They soon leave when nobody fights with them.

I also know that the board administrators can bar people by the use of ICQ numbers, I think they are. The racing boards show the number of the computer with the screen name so you immediately know if a bad actor is posting under another name. And the board administrators seem to be able to link the real names of the "bad actors" from the servers that handle the "bad actors". When the server threatens to knock them off their access, they usually clean up their act. But again, and I stress, that this was on the racing boards where the langueage and rudeness gets many times worse than it ever has here.

It would seem to me that you would welcome activity on the whole site and the boards keep people coming back. There are too many sites now that could have something interesting to offer but all they are is advertising. If it is in an area that interests you, you go, look around, see that it's not worthwhile and never go back. I hope you keep giving us a reason to keep coming back.

Henry in MI

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC