> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Pocket doors
Login | Register

Pocket doors

Posted by Henry in MI on April 15th, 2000 05:09 AM
In reply to pocket doors by Al G. on April 14th, 2000 10:01 PM [Go to top of thread]

Hi, Al. Bob is on assignment visiting everybody in Westport, CT to let them know that the crazy woman who came to their door offering fresh eggs was really an important media personality.

Kits for pocket door hardware are available at home centers. You can use about any kind of door to make a pocket door but it is the operating hardware that is the important part. Making the metal parts is not normally a do-it-yourself project.

Be sure that the kit you choose has good installation instructions. You will have to open up a wall and replace studs to install the hardware. Make sure that you are not opening a load bearing wall.

You might remember that Bob found a pocket door closed up in a wall of hisown house. This makes sense to me because I have one buried in my wall too. Pocket doors always seem to come off the track as the hardware wears and you cannot replace parts without opening up the wall again. About the best thing that I can say about pocket doors is that it is easy to nail up a board over the opening and forget about them.

Henry in MI

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC