> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > plywood vs backerboard
Login | Register

plywood vs backerboard

Posted by garvin on October 6th, 2001 05:22 PM
In reply to ceramic tile on plywood by Garvin on October 5th, 2001 09:57 AM [Go to top of thread]

Thanks, That is good advise. I have a few more questions. If I decide to go with the backerboard, is there any products available besides DUROCK? Itís not the brand I dislike. I am wondering if there is a cheaper route than the standard DUROCK type backerboard. Another issue I have with the DUROCK is the addition floor height that it will add. I do not want to raise the floor and have a step up going into the room. I noticed there is another product for tile, it seems to be made of some sort of paper/cardboard composite material in the tile section of Lowes. It is less than half as thick, but it doesnít seem to have much rigidity (If that is a word). Will that work? The room is approx. 15 X 20. It will be put to the test of kids and dogs who show no mercy. High traffic room to the backyard. Another concern is than as soon as that floor drys up, my wife will be wanting to put carpet back down. Im thinking if I put the backerboard down and tile and whatever comes next (lets hope that doesnít happen)Iím going to be adding an inch plus to the floor height. It will be like having a speed bump going into the room. I do not see me removing the tile and backerboard. I guess my point is, if I need the backerboard, I will install it, but I want to save money and the floor height. Is there any other way besides divorce and the poor house?

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC