> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Plumbing & Calcium build-up in supply lines
Login | Register

Plumbing & Calcium build-up in supply lines

Posted by woodson on January 27th, 2003 10:07 AM

1 of 1 people found this post helpful

I have a question concerning (I think) calcium build-up in my supply lines....

In the past 1-2 years we have noticed an unusual amount of white build-up in our bathroom and kitchen faucets. I have to take the mesh screens off of my faucets about once a week to empty out the build-up in order to re-store the water flow. Otherwise, the sinks clog up almost completely. I have had to treat my shower head with CLR twice in the past two weeks to remove the build up.

Now, I have noticed that our hot water tank seems to be acting up. I'm thinking it may be clogged by the same stuff. Our hot water tank only appears to be able to give out just enought water for 1 short shower.

We have a contractor in who is putting in a new kitchen in for us. He said the hot supply line to the washing machine was almost clogged completely by this build-up.

I am concerned because I don't want to ruin a brand new dish-washer, replace a washing machine, and hot-water tank. (The washing machine has been acting up, too. I'm starting to wonder if it is related to this build-up.)

Any ides what I can do to "fix" this problem? It's really annoying and I it's going to be costing us some money when we have to replace appliances.

Is this a problem with our city water or is this problem specific to our house? We live in a 60 y/o home with the original copper supply lines. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC