> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > plenums
Login | Register


Posted by BobF on March 5th, 1999 10:42 PM
In reply to To plenum or not to plenum? by A. Packer on March 4th, 1999 12:57 PM [Go to top of thread]

A. Packer,

I don't think you mean what you are asking. But I think the answer is yes, use the plenum.

A Plenum area, is the air return for an air conditioning system, or in a house its the cold air return. Its the area between two studs where the top and bottom plates are cutout. Foil or ? is used in the floor joists to direct the air flow under a floor to the next interior wall.

Once a house is built, the easiest way to run anything (be it cable, sheathed electrical cable, central vac pipes, etc) between floors is through the cold air returns. In new houses there is a return in each room. Old ranch style houses may only have one centrally located return.

Do not use your heat ducts (the registers).

You do not have to use the returns - you can try to drill holes through the plates and flooring. Ther returns are easier to use. You can enter and exit anywhere on the wall you have the return.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC