> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Please Don't SHOUT !!!
Login | Register

Please Don't SHOUT !!!

Posted by Jay J on November 18th, 1999 10:24 AM
In reply to HOT POT ON FORMICA...WHAT TO DO? by SUZI LOZANO on November 18th, 1999 09:39 AM [Go to top of thread]

Suzi, Suzi, Suzi,

I'll help you with your problem but first, I'd like to share something w/you.

Using Upper Case lettering doesn't get you any more attention than the the person who uses Lower Case. In fact, you may find little help because most 'folks' are turned off when people don't know the 'rules' to Netiquette. There are a plethora of sites that talk about what's good/bad, acceptable/unacceptable, and so on when on the WEB. It's kind of a self-policing which is how us 1st Ammendment folks like it. We don't need the gov't saying what or how we should use the net. This Forum, as with e-mail and web pages in general, try to confrom to certain civil rules. For a flavor of that, see One Version Of Netiquette.

From what you describe, I'd say you're out-of-luck. What you DON'T want to do is use anything abrasive on a burn. A burn is NOT a stain. In fact, you don't want to use anything abrasive on a stain either because the product you use OR the sponge/brush/whatever you use, may/will take off the formica's finish. Mild cleaners are in order for laminated countertops. At worst, consult Formica, INC. to see if you can e-mail them.

What you can do for now is boil some water, like every morning and/or evening, as you would for coffee or tea or whatever. Put on a pair of rubber gloves and pour some hot water on a sponge. (DO use the gloves!) In a circular motion, gently was the area in question, and damp dry. DON'T rub! Do this for a week or so. At some point, you'll notice either the 'damage' is cleaning up or it's not. Obviously, stop if it's not working, and keep cleaning if it is. In a worst case scenario, I suggest you have the entire countertop replaced so the 'fix' is a uniform one. If there are other countertops in the kitchen, well, it could start costing some $$$. Certainly, you can do just the one counter but you have to ask yourself if the 'others' will look out-of-place.

My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC