> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Please don't run away... Hardwood Floor Q!
Login | Register

Please don't run away... Hardwood Floor Q!

Posted by LJ on August 4th, 1999 09:53 AM

Ok, let me say first... i *did* go and read ALL of the previous posts having to deal with refinishing hardwood floors. Really. And i have one question:

We just bought a lovely old house built in '64. It has hardwood floors throughout almost the entire house. The condition of the floors is incredible, considering. Their only flaws are: big white drops of paint splatters in various places close to the walls, and the front doorway area has been... *shudder* covered in linoleum tile. My question is:

Do I have to refinish (sand with 3 different grades of paper, screen, etc. etc. etc.) the whole thing for it to look good... or, would i just be sanding down the front doorway area and refinishing that, while screening the rest of the floor?

As i write this, my question seems more and more silly... I'm just hoping that someone will tell me "you're floor will look GREAT if you blink at it several times, and say "bibbity-bobbity-boo"... you don't have to tear your new house apart, and do all that work!!!" *GRIN* delusional, wishful thinking. With 800+ sq. ft of floors to do, i am intimidated, to say the least. I will only have weekends, and weekday nights to work on this place. And with the rest of the rennovations we're doing (they don't intimidate me, i just have never done {or had!} hardwood floors before) we cannot afford to hire someone to come out and do ours.
I have one thing going for me though: We won't have to move in until the house is finished... so that means no moving furniture, or worrying about living conditions.
So... any suggestions for me? (besides facing reality, biting the bullet, etc.) I suppose I'm hoping for some advice that will boost my confidence in my ability to do this job...
Any comments would be appreciated! Thanks!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC