> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > plasticizer migration
Login | Register

plasticizer migration

Posted by bobsbuddy on December 12th, 2007 09:09 PM
In reply to wood furniture by Unregistered-significantother on December 12th, 2007 12:49 PM [Go to top of thread]

6 of 7 people found this post helpful

Moderator Post (s) for this thread:
> Glue by thiggy on 12/11/2007

There is a phenomenon called "plasticizer migration." The way I explain it to people is the the chemicals added to plastic to keep it soft and flexible leach out into the finish and do the same to it. If it comes from bubble wrap or packing foam, it's often called "packing marks." It can also occur from the little plastic feet on radios, vases, telephones, etc.

Just how to treat it depends upon how deep and bad it is. I've seen it buff out with a little rubbing or go all the way down to bare wood.

First thing I would try would be to dampen a cloth with mineral spirit or naphtha and lightly rub. If it is indeed "residue" and not finish damage, then I'd try Goo-Gone. If that doesn't work, you might need a light steel wool buffing. This is likely to alter the sheen, though, however, it may be better than what you have now.

Go gently.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC