> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > plastic laminate countertops
Login | Register

plastic laminate countertops

Posted by Anita also on June 18th, 2001 12:34 PM
In reply to Replacing laminate on countertops by Anita on June 8th, 2001 09:26 PM [Go to top of thread]

Anita, I have done two kitchens now, installing formica, and they came out quite well. Before I did this second one, I studied a wonderful book that has all the answers to questions I had when I did the first one. I got it in the library, but I think it can also be ordered in a bookstore or at Amazon. It is by Herrick Kimball and the title is something like "Installing plastic laminate countertops." For tools, you definitely need to buy a router and a set of laminate trimming bits. Other tools I use are: a kitchen wooden rolling pin, paint brush for the glue, and heavy waxed paper or Kraft paper.
As for removing the old laminate, in the first kitchen I did, I simply put the new on over the old. Be sure to sand the old first. That was seven years ago and it still looks good. On the one I just did, I installed new cabinets and thus built a countertop from scratch.
Well, whatever you do, be sure to get the book and read it carefully. The job is not hard, but there is a lot of detail to completing a professional looking job. Get your laminate at a laminate supply store and buy their adhesive (like Lockweld laminate glue). Good luck. -- My name is Ann, but I also go by Anita to many of my friends.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC