> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Plaster or joint compound
Login | Register

Plaster or joint compound

Posted by Chip on September 18th, 2000 02:41 PM
In reply to Drywall tape - paper or mesh? by Dave on September 18th, 2000 09:41 AM [Go to top of thread]

If it is plaster I believe you use the mesh, but I am not a plaster man.

A mudman I am, if it is joint compound I would use paper, have had too many problems with long term durability of mesh, as a matter of fact if you read the specs from an architects plans most will require you to use a quik setting type joint compound for the first bed on mesh type tape, because of the extra adhesion of the quik setting mud. Every room in my house was taped with mesh tape (previously, not by me) and now every joint has a crack, I am in the process of removing and re-taping with regular paper tape. The good thing about mesh tape is that to remove it all it takes is a loose end and a quik pull and it all comes out because there is no mud applied UNDER the mesh.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC